Maybe, improving my writing in some of the ways Lamott and Routman describe will improve my teaching as well, especially if it is conscious. Lamott connects writing to giving and says, "What your giving can do is to help your readers be braver, be better than they are, be open to the world again" (p. 206), and I strongly feel that writing is sharing thoughts, another way of teaching. Routman continually emphasizes the importance of student and their joy of writing is far, far above anything else in importance in teaching writing.
In the first/second grade split classroom I spent September in, the teacher had a specific way of teaching writing, it emphasized the student using writing to express their own thoughts in their own ways, and always encouraging. This seemed to fall right in line with Routman's guidance and what I have been learning in my teaching literacy course. Then, I got to spend a few hours in a different first grade class this past week during their writing time. I was shocked when this seemingly wonderful, and effective teacher seemed to be using a completely different method of teaching writing than my main placement teacher. My main placement teacher encourages best-guess spelling and directs writing with specific guided prompts. This teacher encourages exactly correct spelling and completely free writing. My understandings of teaching and learning literacy seemed to be in complete turmoil.
Fortunately, in this case, I have a long bus ride home. Facing the turmoil head-on and really considering the two teacher's classrooms, their students' work and pleasure in writing. Yes, the two methods have some big differences, but, the results seem very similar. Students enjoying and learning writing well. Essential learning concepts in reading and writing I learned through the literacy course readings, discussions, and class experiences, seemed to fall completely in line with both methods. Both showed ultimate respect for the individual students and their personal experiences as valued readers and writers, and methods that met the students where their learning was currently at to guide future learning.
Emily,
ReplyDeleteI think we are likely to see a lot of different methods of teaching writing (and everything else), given enough time. I agree that this can be unsettling, but you only needed a bus ride to figure out that the two techniques may have been different but the results were similar. Any writing program/technique that has students feeling confident and successful at the 1st/2nd grade (well, any grade) sounds like it is working.
I also love bringing celebration and joy to writing. I am also a big fan of lots of writing and much of that not for grading but for developing stamina and fluency in our students.
Susan